If your child tells you they want to hurt themselves or want to die, seek urgent professional help. Call Lifeline on 131 114 for 24-hour phone counselling or Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800 or encourage your child to call. You can also call 000 or go straight to a hospital emergency department.
Australia-wide mental health services: contacts for teenagers
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
These are government-run services throughout Australia. They provide assessment and treatment for children and young people under 18 years who are experiencing mental health problems. In some areas CAMHS will see people only up to 15 years of age. In other areas CAMHS are available to children and young people aged 0-25 years.
Beyond Blue has an online youth mental health service. It has online chat, forums and a 24-hour phone counselling line. Phone 1300 22 4636.
headspace is the national youth mental health foundation. It’s for young people aged 12-25 years who are going through tough times. It offers online and phone support and counselling. There are also Headspace centres all around Australia.
Kids Helpline is a free, confidential 24-hour telephone counselling service for young people aged 5-25 years. It also offers webchat and email counselling for young people and parents and carers. Phone 1800 551 800, 24 hours, 7 days.
Reach Out is an online mental health service. It offers peer support forums and pathways to other services.
SANE provides support to people living with mental health problems and their family and friends. It offers free support services, including counselling, community forums, peer support and groups, information and resources.
State and territory mental health services: contacts for teenagers
Australian Capital Territory
- Access Mental Health: 1800 629 354 or (02) 6205 1065, 24 hours, 7 days
- ACT Government Canberra Health Services – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) Community Teams
New South Wales
- Mental Health Line NSW: 1800 011 511, 24 hours, 7 days
- NSW Government Health – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
- Northern Territory Mental Health Line: 1800 682 288, 24 hours, 7 days
- NT Government – Mental health
- Mental Health Access Line: 1300 642 255, 24 hours, 7 days
- Queensland Government Children’s Health Queensland Hospital and Health Service – Mental health services
- Mental Health Triage Service: 131 465, 24 hours, 7 days
- SA Women’s and Children’s Health Network – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
- Access Mental Health helpline: 1800 332 388, 9 am-10 pm, 7 days
- Tasmanian Government Department of Health – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
Each health region in Victoria has its own 24-hour triage phone number. To get the number for your area:
- Go to Victoria’s Mental Health Services – Accessing mental health services.
- Choose the letter of your suburb or town. This will take you to a list of suburbs and towns starting with this letter.
- Find your suburb or town and choose Child & Adolescent for services in your area.
You can find more information at Victorian Government Department of Health – Child and adolescent mental services.
- Here For You helpline: 1800 437 348, 7 am-10 pm, 7 days
- Mental health emergency response line: 1300 555 788 (Perth), 1800 676 822 (Peel region), 24 hours, 7 days
- Rurallink (for people in rural and regional Western Australia): 1800 552 002, 4.30 pm-8.30 am weekdays, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays
- CAMHS Crisis Connect 1800 048 636, 24 hours, 7 days
- WA Child and Adolescent Health Service – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)