Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup plus 1 heaped tablespoon (160 gm) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1⅔ cups (150 gm) plain rolled oats
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2½ tablespoons (70 gm) honey or ¼ cup (65 gm) firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons (100 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly oil a 24-hole mini muffin tin with olive oil spray, or fill with mini cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, grated carrot, honey or brown sugar, and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs. Add oil and mix. Pour into carrot mixture and mix until just combined (don’t overmix).
- Spoon evenly into the muffin tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out and cooling on a wire rack.
- Substitute grated pumpkin, sweet potato or zucchini for some or all of the carrot.
- Encourage your child to get involved. Even toddlers can help by stirring the muffin mix. Preparing food with children is fun and builds skills.
Children under 12 months shouldn’t have honey. Don’t use honey in this recipe if you’re making it for children under 12 months. You can find out more about foods to avoid at certain ages in our article on introducing solids.