Makes one loaf
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 50-60 mins
⅓ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup honey (do not use honey if making for children under 12 months old)
3 medium ripe bananas
200 gm natural yoghurt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
250 gm wholemeal self-raising flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line an 11 cm x 21 cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- Using an electric beater, blend the oil and honey until well mixed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and stir in the yoghurt. Fold through egg mixture. Fold flour and mixed spice into mixture.
- Spoon into prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Add a handful of chopped nuts or seeds to the mixture for some healthy fats.
- Kids love this banana bread for breakfast, toasted and topped with a scrape of their favourite spread.
- Encourage your child to help. Even toddlers can help by stirring in the yoghurt. Cooking with kids is fun and helps build lots of skills.
Children under 12 months shouldn’t have honey. You can find out more about foods to avoid at certain ages in our article on introducing solids.