In Shaun the Sheep Movie, Shaun the sheep lives with his fellow sheep on a farm in the English countryside. One day Shaun gets bored with his daily routine. With the help of his animal friends, he kidnaps the farmer while the farmer is still sleeping and locks him in a caravan. Shaun and the sheep head off for a day of fun, but it all goes wrong. The caravan rolls away, and the farmer ends up lost in the city without any memory of who he is.
Shaun, his sheep friends and the farmer’s dog must venture into the big city to find the farmer and bring him back. But can Shaun and the sheep find the farmer before they’re captured by Animal Containment?
Shaun the Sheep Movie has some violence. For example:
- The Animal Containment man catches Shaun and puts him in the animal shelter with some evil-looking animals. After Shaun escapes, the man vows to kill Shaun and chases after him with an electric gun. He finally catches Shaun and the other sheep at the farm and tries to kill them by throwing them into a quarry. Shaun and the farmer save the day, but these scenes might be distressing for young children.
- Shaun and the other sheep are chased by a scary bull.
Content that may disturb children
In addition to the violent scenes mentioned above, Shaun the Sheep Movie has some scenes that could scare or disturb children aged under five years. For example:
- There are some slapstick comedy scenes in this movie. For example, the farmer accidentally hits the dog in the face with the door every morning. These scenes are supposed to be funny, but they might startle some children.
- The farmer’s caravan starts to roll away with the farmer asleep inside. The caravan crashes through bushes, almost runs over a cow and is almost hit by a train. In the process the farmer gets a head injury and is taken to hospital.
- The farmer wakes up in hospital and doesn’t remember who he is. When Shaun eventually finds the farmer, the farmer doesn’t remember who Shaun is either. These scenes are a bit sad, because Shaun doesn’t understand that the farmer has lost his memory. Shaun thinks that the farmer doesn’t love him anymore.
- The Animal Containment man is scary and might frighten some children.
Younger children in this age group might also be scared or upset by some of the scenes mentioned above.
Nothing of concern
Nothing of concern
Shaun the Sheep Movie has some sexual references, including when the Animal Containment man flirts with a sheep who is dressed as a woman.
Alcohol, drugs and other substances
Shaun the Sheep Movie shows characters drinking socially at a restaurant.
Nudity and sexual activity
Shaun the Sheep Movie has some nudity and sexual activity. For example:
- The sheep dressed as a woman kisses the Animal Containment man to distract him.
- The farmer poses nude for a magazine cover, but you can see only his chest, arms and legs.
There is no product placement of concern in Shaun the Sheep Movie, but plenty of merchandise associated with the movie is being marketed to children.
None of concern
Ideas to discuss with your children
Based on the popular TV show, Shaun the Sheep Movie is a funny adventure story about getting lost in a big city.
As in the TV show, there is no talking in the movie, and it might be a bit boring for older children. Because of some scary and upsetting scenes, we don’t recommend the movie for children aged under 4 or 5 years, and we do recommend parental guidance for children aged 4-7 years.
The main message from this movie is that sometimes a little change is good, but that you should also appreciate what you have.
Values in this movie that you could reinforce with your children include bravery, loyalty, intelligence and kindness.
This movie could also give you the chance to talk with your children about what happens in real-life animal protection agencies and animal shelters.