A Monster Calls includes some sexual references. For example, there are animations that refer to people sleeping together under a tree.
Alcohol, drugs and other substances
A Monster Calls shows some use of substances. For example:
- When Conor’s mother has a seizure, she is given a drug that calms her.
- A man drinks wine at a restaurant.
- A bully tauntingly suggests that Conor is drunk.
Nudity and sexual activity
A Monster Calls has some nudity and sexual activity. For example:
- There is a surreal animated image of a man and woman kissing. In a later scene, a naked man kneels next to a sleeping woman.
- In one scene Conor’s mother is helped to undress. Her naked, bruised and emaciated back is exposed.
- A woman wears a low-cut top that reveals some cleavage.
Nothing of concern
A Monster Calls has some coarse language.
Ideas to discuss with your children
A Monster Calls is a fantasy drama targeting teenagers and adults. It is an intensely emotional story of loss and grief, featuring an angry and confused 12-year-old boy whose mother has a terminal illness.
This movie has intense themes and disturbing scenes, so it isn’t recommended for children under 13 years. Some slightly older children might need parental guidance too.
These are the main messages from this movie:
- People are complicated and capable of being both good and bad.
- People can be scared by what they don’t understand.
- Keeping secrets can result in emotional trauma, self-recrimination and self-harm.
You could talk with your children about:
- why Conor feels guilty and finds it so difficult to discuss his feeling about his dying mother
- why Conor feels he needs to be punished for his feelings.