Katy Perry: Part of Me is the visual diary of Katy Perry’s rise from being a nobody to finding international pop stardom. It follows her over a 12-month period while she performs a world tour to promote her latest album. Throughout the movie, we get an insight into the real person behind the success. This includes snippets from Katy’s childhood and references to her very public marriage breakdown.
The movie lets us feel that we are with Katy on tour or in the audience as she goes through the ups and downs of her life as a pop star.
Content that may disturb children
Children in this age group might be worried by scenes that show Katy upset and crying.
Younger children in this age group might also be worried by the scenes that show Katy upset and crying.
Children in this age group are unlikely to be disturbed by anything in this movie.
This movie has some sexual references. For example, many of Katy Perry’s songs have sexually provocative words, including ‘Let’s go all the way tonight’, ‘You turn me on’, I want to see your peacock’ and ‘I kissed a girl’.
Alcohol, drugs and other substances
This movie shows some use of substances. For example:
- Katy and other people of legal drinking age drink alcohol.
- Russell Brand smokes.
- Some songs are about being drunk.
Nudity and sexual activity
This movie shows some partial nudity and sexual activity. For example:
- Katy wears a variety of brief and sexy-looking outfits including a bra top with tassels and a dress with spirals on her breasts.
- Katy and her dancers perform some provocative dance movements to some of her songs.
The following products and brands are mentioned or seen in this movie: Apple, McDonalds, Adidas, Nike, Make a Wish foundation, Twitter, Facebook, Capital Records and Rolling Stone, In Style and Vanity Fair magazines.
The movie also promotes Katy Perry as a product. And it refers to lots of other famous people, including Russell Brand and his movie Get Him to the Greek, Lady Gaga, Adele, Jessie J, Ellen Degeneres, Alanis Morrisette, Queen and Whoopi Goldberg and her movies Sister Act 1 and Sister Act 2.
There is some coarse language in this movie.
Ideas to discuss with your children
Katy Perry: Part of Me is the visual diary of Katy Perry’s meteoric rise to success, told through her music and her world tour.
The main messages from this movie are about the determination and sacrifice you need to make it big.
Values in this movie that you could reinforce with your children include determination, hard work and loyalty.
This movie could also give you the chance to talk with your children about real-life issues such as the following:
- The cost of success: what does Katy have to give up to make it big? How does her success impact on her marriage? Does it contribute to the marriage breakdown?
- Looking after yourself: Katy pushes herself very hard. What are the risks of pushing yourself? Do you think Katy should have taken time out of her tour when she was very down and upset?
- Fame: what does the movie tell us about being a celebrity?
- Religion: how do Katy’s parents react to her success? Why do you think they support her despite their own views about some of her music?