While doing her best to run the Kingdom of Arendelle, Queen Elsa (Idina Menzel) finds herself repeatedly hearing a siren call that no-one else can hear. One night she answers the call and sets in motion events that send her, Anna (Kristen Bell), Kristoff (Jonathan Groff), and Olaf (Josh Gad) on a journey to the mysterious and enchanted forest of Northuldra. This is a place that Elsa and Anna heard about in bedtime stories from their parents.
In the forest, the sisters learn the truth about many things, including the native people who live there, the dark secret that hangs over their family, the source of Elsa’s powers and the fate of their parents. Despite Anna’s best attempts to protect her, Elsa sets off alone to confront the past and find her destiny while Anna learns to face her worst fears and discovers what it takes to be a true leader.
Once again, the sisters weave their magic, freeing the people of Northuldra and saving not only Arendelle but also each other.
Death of parents, siblings and friends; natural disasters; angry spirits of an enchanted forest; cultural superiority of one group over a native people.
Frozen 2 has some violence. For example:
- During a bedtime story, there are flashbacks to a battle scene with lots of sword fighting. The king is pushed over a cliff, and a young price falls back and smashes his head on a rock. He is carried home unconscious by a wind spirit, while the rest of his people are trapped inside a forest.
- A defenceless Northuldran chief is shown moments before being assassinated.
- Numerous chase scenes involve smashing, panic and falling.
- Olaf is repeatedly blasted backwards as he tries to enter the enchanted forest.
- Earth spirits that looks like rock giants repeatedly chase and throw things at Anna.
Alcohol, drugs and other substances
Nudity and sexual activity
Frozen 2 has some mild sexual activity. For example, Anna and Christof embrace a couple of times and occasionally kiss each other.
Frozen 2 has no product placement, but you should note that a lot of merchandise associated with this movie is being marketed to children. This includes clothing, toys and games.
Ideas to discuss with your children
Frozen 2 is a sequel to 2013’s blockbuster, Frozen. Some scenes are a little darker but the characters are just as well-rounded and endearing. Frozen 2 is a family film that will probably be enjoyed by all but the youngest of viewers.
These are the main messages from Frozen 2:
- Believe in yourself.
- Keep doing the right thing even when it feels impossible to go on.
- See the value in cultures and beliefs that are different from your own.
- Work towards building bonds of friendship, understanding and unity.
Values in this movie that you could reinforce with your children include persistence, teamwork, loyalty, courage, tolerance and justice.
This movie could also give you the chance to talk with your children about real-life issues like:
- the consequences of believing that one group of people is better than another
- the appropriateness of giving gifts that serve your own purpose and might harm others
- the devastation and imbalance that using natural resources for your own gain can cause
- the importance of confronting and correcting past wrongs, even when your own family is implicated and responsible for other people’s suffering.