In Fast & Furious 6 Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and his gang crippled Owen Shaw (Luke Evans) and put him in hospital. In Fast & Furious 7 Owen’s big brother, Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham), wants revenge. Deckard has already killed Han (Sung Kang), a member of Dom’s team and is out to slaughter Dom and the others, along with agent Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson).
Meanwhile, Dom’s right-hand man Brian O’Connor (Paul Walker) is adjusting to life as a new father and husband to Dom’s sister Mia (Jordana Brewster). A package from Tokyo arrives on Brian’s doorstep and explodes, destroying the family home and nearly killing Brian, Mia, their baby son and Dom. So Dom and his team decide they must hunt down and destroy Deckard before he destroys them.
A shadow agent named Mr Nobody (Kurt Russell) arrives. He makes Dom an offer Dom can’t refuse. Dom must rescue a computer hacking program called God’s Eye and the person who designed it, a hacker named Ramsey (Nathalie Emmanuel), from a Somalian terrorist named Mose Jakande (Djimon Hounsou). The program can locate anyone on the planet within moments, regardless of where they’re hiding. In return Mr Nobody will give Dom free access to God’s Eye and all the resources Dom needs to locate and defeat Deckard Shaw.
Fast & Furious 7 contains sequences of intense action violence including brutal physical violence by men and women, battle scenes and reckless vehicle-related violence. Lots of people die, but there is minimal blood and gore. For example:
- In the movie’s opening scene a man stands next to a hospital bed where an unconscious man lies. He is surrounded by a scene of destruction, with numerous dead or unconscious soldiers scattered across the floor and medical staff cowering in a corner. The man says that he will kill everyone in the hospital if they don’t take care of the unconscious man in the bed. As he leaves the hospital, a soldier approaches the man, who hands the soldier a grenade and pushes him away. The grenade explodes several seconds later, killing the soldier.
- In a fight between two groups of soldiers, numerous soldiers are shot dead. One soldier is lying dead on the ground with his eyes open. There are numerous explosions, and soldiers are thrown through the air. One man is shot several times in the chest. There is a small bloody bullet wound in his chest and a blood-soaked patch in the side of his shirt.
- There are brutal fist fights throughout the movie.
- One scene shows a fight between two women wearing evening gowns. They kick, punch and head butt each other, smash vases over each other’s head, smash each other’s face into tables and walls, and slash each other’s arms with knives. One woman goes over a balcony and smashes on a glass table.
- A box left on a suburban doorstep explodes in a gigantic fireball that completely demolishes the house. The force of the explosion throws a man and woman through the air and another man against a car, which contains a young baby. All are uninjured, but we hear that the bomb was an attempt to kill the entire family.
- The movie has several frenetic chase scenes. These involve cars and larger vehicles being rammed, busting into flames or plunging off mountain roads. Characters use automatic weapons, are thrown out of speeding vehicles, and are chased by planes and helicopters.
Content that may disturb children
Children in this age group are likely to be disturbed by the violent scenes from Fast & Furious 7 described above.
Children in this age group are also likely to be disturbed by some of the violent scenes described above.
Younger children in this age group might also be disturbed by some of the violent scenes above.
Fast & Furious 7 has overt sexual references and innuendo. For example:
- A character says he ‘wished his momma had kept her legs closed’.
- A woman tells a man that she is pregnant with her second child.
- Characters made crude or suggestive remarks about sexual activity.
- A man refers to his genitalia.
- Two men argue over which one had the right to date a woman. One says that he had ‘dibs’ on her.
- One of the men refers to himself as ‘man candy’.
- A man describes a woman’s breasts as ‘missiles’.
Alcohol, drugs and other substances
Fast & Furious 7 show some use of substances. For example:
- A man tells a young girl, ‘Your dad’s on heavy pain meds’. Later the same man swallows several tablets before he leaves his hospital room.
- Characters drink beer in several situations.
- Characters drink champagne and brightly coloured cocktails at a party.
Nudity and sexual activity
Fast & Furious 7 contains some partial nudity and sexual activity. For example:
- A scene at a racetrack shows several women wearing brief bikinis. Some of the women are soaking wet. They dance and wriggle their buttocks against each other.
- There are several other scenes of women wearing brief bikini-style outfits.
- Several men are shown with bare chests.
- A man and woman kiss passionately, but briefly, in a couple of scenes.
The following products are displayed or used in Fast & Furious 7: branded beer and many car brands.
Fast & Furious 7 has coarse language and occasional name-calling throughout.
Ideas to discuss with your children
Fast and Furious 7 is the seventh movie in the crime action thriller series. It features the usual fast cars and is targeted at older male teenagers and adult fans of the series. This movie seems to have even more over-the-top action violence, reckless endangerment and fight scenes than previous movies in the series. For these reasons, it is definitely not recommended for children under 15 years.
The main messages from this movie are that family is the most important thing in life. Parenting and being a good partner are more rewarding and fulfilling than fast-paced action and thrills.
You might want to talk about how the movie blatantly objectifies women as sexual objects.