Dominic ‘Dom’ Torreto (Vin Diesel) is trying to live life off the grid with his girlfriend Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) and young son. He’s approached by his former associates Ramsey (Nathalie Emmanuel), Roman (Tyrese Gibson) and Tej (Chris ‘Ludacris’ Bridges), who’ve received a message with footage of a plane being attacked by rogue agents. They ask for Dom’s help to investigate the crash site. Letty agrees, but Dom refuses. He changes his mind after glimpsing a clue in the footage that leads him to suspect that his estranged brother, Jakob (John Cena), might have something to do with the hijacking.
Dom and his team soon learn that the plane was carrying half of the Aries system, a specialised device that can hack into any computer weapons system and give the user total control from anywhere in the world. When the first piece of Aries is stolen from them, Dom and his team set off to stop Jakob, his associate Otto (Thue Ersted Rasmussen) and the rogue army they’ve enlisted to help them steal the second half of Aries.
The group splits up to follow different leads. Letty and Dom’s sister Mia (Jordana Brewster) track down their old pal Han (Sung Kang) in Tokyo. After faking his own death, Han has been protecting Elle (Anna Sawei), who is the key to Aries. The others head to Scotland to try to get the second piece before Jakob does. Meanwhile, the villain Cipher (Charlize Theron) teams up with Otto and plans to hijack a satellite using the Aries system.
With the odds stacked against them, Dom and his team race against the clock to places they have never been. They must risk everything to disarm Aries and make the world safe again.
Death of a parent; grief; family breakdown and estrangement; crime; sibling rivalry
Fast & Furious 9 has a lot of violence. For example:
- Someone remarks that Dom should want revenge on the woman who killed the mother of his little boy.
- Black-clad soldiers shoot at Dom and his team. One of the team members is trapped in a pit while soldiers shoot down at him. He shoots back with a machine gun, taking out all of the men.
- Army tanks and cars race through the jungle with people shooting at each other. Vehicles flip, explode and are blown up when driving over landmines. One tank is on fire when it blasts through the air and gets wedged between two rocks. Dom’s team watches in horror as the tank slips closer and closer to a landmine right below. Their friend jumps free, narrowly missing the landmine when he falls to the ground. The tank crashes behind him and flips over. It looks as though it has crushed the man, but he turns out to be fine.
- Dom attacks the guy whom he believes is responsible for killing his father and seems to beat him to death. Dom is imprisoned as a result.
- After being attacked, Letty flies off her bike and lands on the bonnet of Dom’s car.
- A car is hit and smashes into a suspension bridge. It tries to race over the wooden planks as the bridge disappears into the ravine below.
- Rockets are fired at another car, which swings around on one of the suspension cables and lands on an opposite cliff.
- Letty and Mia are attacked in Tokyo. People smack, kick, hit, punch, and fight with knives and swords. One person is hit with a large metal spoon, and another is hit with a heavy pot. One person is hit in the groin, another is thrown into a wall, and a third is pushed out a window. When Letty and Mia step outside, they’re shot at and held at gun point before a sniper kills all of the attackers.
- A large magnet creates havoc on the streets – a delivery truck is stolen, a door is smashed off a car and people are thrown into chaos.
- Ramsey has issues driving and smashes numerous cars and property while trying to manoeuvre a truck through English streets.
- A man is punched, kicked and thrown out of a moving truck.
- Dom and Jakob punch each other through walls and windows. Both are bleeding from the head as they leap off buildings and onto moving vehicles.
- People are shot at while walking on a sidewalk.
- A bomb is attached to a parachute that blows up a man.
- Soldiers grab Elle, punch Han and hold a gun on him.
- Men choke on smoke that’s being released from their vests.
- Dom gets Letty and his sister to safety before turning around to face a large group of soldiers. He attacks them ruthlessly, throwing them over the railing, hanging them in chains, breaking their backs on metal bars and so on. But he’s eventually overwhelmed and thrown off a platform into the water below. It looks like he’s drowning, but Letty saves him at the last moment.
- People fight on the roof of a tank and a person’s head blasts through a billboard.
- Guns are fired, cars crash over each other, and Jakob is blasted off the top of a tank.
- A man is hit and killed by a car.
- Elle shoots a machine gun at the tank, police join in the fray, cars smash and flip, and fallen wires entangle and trap police cars.
- Tej and Roman drive their car into a satellite to explode it in a last-ditch effort to stop Aries from being uploaded.
- A truck explodes as it falls off a cliff. An aircraft is blown up and Cipher appears to have been killed until she comes out of a simulation.
- A man is being beaten up while trapped inside a punching bag.
There are no sexual references in Fast & Furious 9.
Alcohol, drugs and other substances
Fast & Furious 9 shows some use of substances. For example, Dom and his team all drink beers at a barbeque.
Nudity and sexual activity
Fast & Furious 9 has some nudity and sexual activity. For example:
- Some characters wear tight, revealing and skimpy clothes.
- Young women dance in a provocative and sexy way at a street party.
The following products are displayed, used or mentioned in Fast & Furious 9: Pontiac cars, Corona Beers, duct tape, and Snickers, Twix and Tootsie Rolls.
Fast & Furious 9 has some coarse language.
Ideas to discuss with your children
The latest in the Fast and Furious franchise, Fast & Furious 9 is a fast-paced action movie. It features plenty of stunts and special effects but has a fairly predictable plot.
Because of its violent content and coarse language, Fast & Furious 9 isn’t a family movie. Rather, it’s one for mature audiences and fans of the Fast and Furious series.
These are the main messages from Fast & Furious 9:
- You need to make peace with the past if you want hope for the future.
- Family is priceless.
- It isn’t about being stronger or faster – it’s about being the bigger or better person.
Values in Fast & Furious 9 that you could reinforce with your children include loyalty, compassion, forgiveness, teamwork, determination, courage and ingenuity.
This movie could also give you the chance to talk with your children about the real-life consequences of things like:
- dangerous driving
- using violence as a way to solve conflict
- trying to avenge someone
- using others for personal gain
- putting money and your personal interests before the lives of others.