About working with children checks

The aim of working with children (WWC) checks is to keep children safe.

People who work or volunteer in child-related work must usually complete a WWC check. This involves filling out a form with details about your past employment and criminal history (if you have one) and submitting it to the relevant authority in your state or territory.

You’ll probably need a WWC check if you:

  • work as a nanny, early childhood educator or teacher, or in another child-related field
  • volunteer at your children’s school – for example, in the canteen or in the classroom
  • volunteer in an organisation that involves children – for example, as a coach or manager of a junior sporting club or drama group.

There are other work or volunteer situations that require you to have a WWC check. Your state or territory authority will be able to tell you about these situations.

If you directly employ someone to care for your children – for example, if you directly employ a nanny – some states will allow you to request a WWC check from a local police station for a fee.

Working with children checks: Australian states and territories

Working with children (WWC) checks might be called different things in different Australian states and territories. For example, you might hear them called working with children cards, working with children clearances, blue cards (in Queensland) or Ochre Cards (in the Northern Territory).

To find out more about police checks or WWC checks in your state or territory, follow the links below.