How to wrap a baby: steps
1. Use a lightweight cotton or muslin wrap. Fold the top edge down by about 20 cm. Lay your baby with their shoulders in line with the fold.
2. Place one of your baby’s hands under the fold.
3. Bring the edge of the wrap across the body. Tuck it under your baby’s legs.
4. Place the other hand under the fold.
5. Bring the other edge of the wrap across your baby’s body. Tuck it in under their back.
6. Fold any extra length up and under your baby’s legs. Wrap firmly, but make sure that the wrap isn’t too tight and that your baby can fully stretch out their legs. Wrapping the legs and chest too tightly can lead to hip and breathing problems.
How to avoid overheating when wrapping a baby
In warm weather, dress your baby in a singlet and nappy underneath the wrap. Overheating has been linked to SUDI, so try to keep baby cool and comfortable during sleep.
In cool weather, dress your baby in a lightweight jumpsuit or clothing layers under the wrap, according to room temperature. You can also use a light blanket if needed, tucked in securely at chest level. Be careful not to overheat the room.