You can read the forums (or 'boards') without registering, but if you want to ask or answer any questions ('make posts') you have to register.
How to register
To register, click on the ‘Register’ link near the top left of the page.
- your username (this is a name you choose – it will be displayed beside every post you make so if you don’t want people to know your real name use a made-up name)
- your first and last names (these will not be displayed)
- your postcode (this must be a four-digit number; if you’re from somewhere other than Australia, use 0000)
- your email address (this will not be displayed; however, remember which email address you use as you will need it to log in)
- a password (make this up yourself; choose something you can easily remember).
You can also use this page to subscribe to our email newsletters about the development of your child. Tick any newsletters you want to subscribe to, tick the box if you want to participate in surveys, then click the ‘Submit’ button.
You are now registered.
To ask or answer questions you need to log in.
How to log in
To log in, click on the ‘Login’ link near the top left of the ‘Forums’ page.
- your email address (the email address you used when you registered)
- your password (the password you chose when you registered).
If you want to be automatically logged in every time you go the site, tick the ‘Remember me’ box. You shouldn’t do this if you’re at a computer that other people use, as they will be able to post using your name.
The first time you post on a forum
The first time a forum member posts onto the RCN forums their post will be sent to the moderator for approval. This is a measure RCN have undertaken in order to reduce spamming of the forums. Please note that your post will not appear publicly on the forum until the moderator has approved it. The moderator is available to approve posts during office hours between Monday to Friday. Any initial posts made over a weekend will not show on the forums until the start of the week directly after. Once a member has had their initial post approved by the moderator, they will be able to make subsequent posts and have the posts show immediately. If you have any questions, please email the moderator.
How to ask a question
Before you ask your question, check to see whether anyone has already answered that question. You could do this by reading whichever forums are relevant to your question. Or, you could search for words in your question: click the ‘search’ link in the top right menu bar of the forums and put in your words.
If you can’t find an answer to your question, you need to add a topic.
- Choose the forum where your question belongs. Click on it.
- When it opens, you will see a button at the top right hand side of the forum which says ADD TOPIC. Click on it.
- A new page will open.
- In the ‘Subject’ line type a name for your question; for example, ‘Two year old won’t sleep’ or ‘Looking for playgroup in Inner Belconnen’
- If you want, put a more detailed description of your question in the ‘Description’ box. You don’t have to do this.
- In the ‘Message’ box, type the text of your question. You can format your text – add bold or italics, or a link to a page – using the formatting keys at the top of the box. These work the same way as formatting text in Word.
- If you want to check your spelling, click the ‘Spell Check’ button.
- If you want to see your question before it is posted on the forums, click the ‘Preview’ button.
- If you want to be emailed whenever someone replies to your question, go the ‘Post Options’ box and in the menu titled ‘Topic Subscription Notification Type’, select ‘Immediate Notification of New Posts by Email’.
- Once you’re ready to post your question, click the ‘Post New Topic’ button.
Your question is now on the forum.
How to answer a question
If you’ve seen a question you want to answer, or a discussion you’d like to join in, you want to post a reply.
- Go to the topic you’re interested in answering.
- When it opens, you will see a button at the top left hand side of the topic which says 'Post reply". Click it.
- The steps for posting your reply are the same as for adding a topic.
- You can also reply to a post by clicking on the orange 'Reply' button directly under the post.