Whether you’re parenting newborns, teenagers or children with additional needs, we have an online forum where you can share stories and ask questions about raising your children. Here’s how to use our forums.
How to register
You can read the forums without registering, but if you want to ask or answer any questions (‘make posts’) you have to register.
To register, click the ‘Register’ link near the top right-hand corner of the page.
Fill in the following fields:
Username – this is a name you choose. It’ll be displayed beside every post you make, so if you don’t want people to know your real name use a made-up name.
First and last names – these won’t be displayed.
Postcode – this must be a four-digit number. If you live somewhere other than Australia, use 0000.
Email address – this won’t be displayed. It’s important to remember which email address you use because you’ll need it to log in.
Password – you make this up yourself. Choose something you can easily remember.
You can also use this page to subscribe to our email newsletters. Tick any newsletters you want to subscribe to.
If you want to participate in our online surveys, tick the box for this option.
You then need to read and agree to the terms and conditions. After you’ve done this, click the ‘Submit’ button.
We will send you an email to confirm your registration. Please follow the link in the email to fully activate your account.
You are now registered.
To ask or answer questions you need to log in.
If you don’t activate your account, you won’t be able to ask or answer questions. You can only ‘like’ posts.
How to log in
To log in, click the ‘Login’ link near the top right of the Forums page.
- your email address – the email address you used when you registered
- your password – the password you chose when you registered.
If you want to be automatically logged in every time you go the site, tick the ‘Remember me’ box. You shouldn’t do this if you’re at a computer that other people use, because they’ll be able to post using your name.
The first time you post on a forum
The first time you post on one of our forums, your post will be sent to the moderator for approval. We do this to reduce spamming on our forums.
Please note that your post won’t appear publicly on the forum until the moderator has approved it. The moderator approves posts during office hours, Monday to Friday. Any first posts made over a weekend won’t show on forums until the start of the week directly after.
Once the moderator approves your first post, you can make posts and have your posts show immediately.
If you have any questions, please email the moderator.
How to ask a question
Before you ask a question on our forums, check to see whether anyone has already answered that question. You can do this by:
- reading the forums that are relevant to your question
- searching for words in your question – click the ‘search’ button (the magnifying glass icon) in the top right-hand corner of the forums and enter your words.
If you can’t find an answer to your question, you need to add a topic:
- Choose the forum where your question belongs. Click it. The forum will open.
- When the forum opens, you’ll see a button at the top left-hand side of the forum, which says ‘Post Topic’. Click it. A new page will open.
- In the ‘Subject’ line type a name for your question – for example, ‘Two year old won’t sleep’ or ‘Looking for playgroup in Inner Belconnen’.
- In the ‘Message’ box, type the text of your question. You can format your text – add bold or italics, or a link to a page – using the formatting keys at the bottom of the box. These work the same way as formatting text in Word.
- If you want to check your spelling, click the ‘Check Spelling’ button.
- If you want to see your question before you post it, you can see an automatic preview at the bottom of the page.
- If you want to be emailed whenever someone replies to your question, leave the ‘Notify me of replies to this post’ option ticked.
- Once you’re ready to post your question, click the ‘Post New Topic’ button.
Your question is now on the forum.
How to answer a question
If you’ve seen a question you want to answer, or a discussion you’d like to join, you need to post a reply.
- Go to the topic you’re interested in answering.
- When it opens, you’ll see a button at the top left-hand side of the topic, which says ‘Post Reply’. Click it.
- The steps for posting your reply are the same as for adding a topic.
- You can also reply to a post by clicking the orange ‘Reply’ button directly under the post.