Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

help with my adhd child Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/09/2008 7:39:51 PM
hi

is there any extra help at school for add/adhd children or is it just the teachers
Post #11178
Posted 17/03/2011 7:08:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 27/03/2011 4:33:44 PM

Hi

I am the mother of 3 children (ages 5-14) with varying forms of ADHD and dyslexia. I live in Cairns and like Lizzy, am finding it difficult to find a support network, or someone with a comprehensive source of advice. If anyone is interested in meeting up, to talk about our experiences with ADHD kids please email me.

Post #52613
Posted 18/03/2011 11:41:14 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 21/08/2011 7:57:32 AM
Lizzy has really hit the nail on the head with all her info so all Im going to say is:

PLEASE DO NOT MEDICATE YOUR CHILD

These drugs are BAD and childrens brains are still developing and not enough is known about the long term affects of these medications.  Please persevere with behaviour management techniques, the drugs maybe a short term solution but what effect will they have long term?

Good luck! x 

Post #52718
Posted 4/10/2011 11:50:53 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 16/05/2012 3:37:55 PM
I read this on a website..

Are there schools for ADHD children?

Parents with children who have been diagnosed with ADHD often wonder if it would benefit their child to investigate educational alternatives. Should they look into a Waldorf school, or a strict military school? Are the public schools providing the best possible education for ADHD kids? There are so many things to consider, and in recent years, more and more ADHD schools have been developed, with specialized treatment plans that seem to suit the needs of ADHD kids. How can a parent research these schools, when all of their websites seem to have pictures of smiling children? What should a parent look for to evaluate these schools, and do they really help?

Schools that are strictly for ADD and ADHD often won't take children with other disorders, and several children with ADD and ADHD have also been diagnosed with other disorders, too. Look for a school that serves the needs of all children, because your child is more than just a disorder; they're a person whose needs should be evaluated individually, and instead of being treated like "a classic case of ADD" they should be treated like themselves.

Day schools tend to suit the needs of a small percentage of ADD and ADHD children. By using a variety of activities instead of bookwork to teach, and interspersing periods of physical activity, an controlling energy levels through strategic nutritional approaches, these schools manage to help ADD kids succeed academically. Academic success is important, since many of these children are otherwise bright. However, failing to address the behavioral issues makes for increased anxiety and troubles outside of school, where the environment isn't s controlled.

source: Click Here
Post #63174
Posted 4/04/2012 12:14:54 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 12/04/2012 7:39:13 PM
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: http://www.humanresources.hrvinet.com/job-analysis-checklist/

Rgs
Post #67149
Posted 6/05/2012 11:14:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 6/05/2012 11:14:03 AM
Have you looked at the Brain Gym program. I have used this program with ADHD children with great results. Look at Sue Dengates site she has some great suggestions with regards diet as these children.
These children seem to be kinesthetic learners as well as right brain dominant which doesn't fit into the school model.
Also snesory issues are always an issue with ADHD children and unfortunately medication only masks these issues but are usually the end result with parents at their wits end with how to control these children.
Hope this helps
Post #67518
Posted 5/09/2012 11:39:01 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 8/09/2012 1:51:23 PM
Our 7-year old has also jsut been diagnosed with ADHD so I feel your pain & understand how stressful and ovewhelming it can be. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend going to a Child Psychologist for a full Cognitive Assessment to also check for any processing or learning difficulty which may not be picked up by a normal clinical assessment.  It will cost you around $500 depending which state yoare in, but not covered by Medicare (but will get some rebate if you have private health insurance).

On our first appointment, our Psych gave us 2 DVD's to watch called "123-Magic" Stop & Start Behaviours, from the Parent Magic series of Books and DVD's.  All I can say...Brilliant!!  It is a simple, practical method of stopping bad behaviours and encouraging good behaviours & it starts to teach kids to self-regulate.  It can be used on all kids with or without ADHD & will certainly help you with managing your son at home. The American Psychologist who developed these serires, also has a son with ADHD and is very relatable & presents the info in a humurous but practical way. When you watch it, you will think that it they were talking about your own child. You can also purchase them online - check out the website www.123magic.com . They also have a set of DVD's soley for understanding ADHD and talks about medication options etc.  Best investment we ever made.  In the 3 weeks that we have been using this method at home, we have not yelled or raised our voice in anger at home once (amazing, I know) but true.  We used to have warzones at home before, particularly when he didn't get his way or when he was asked to do something he didn't want to.  Being able to manage him at home, has given us confidence in our parenting & in turn has helped us to cope with everything else such as school, friend issuesetc.

As we are at the beginning of this ADHD journey with our child we are about to embark on the medication option, so will keep you posted. Our Psychologist is currently liaising with our school to come up with strategies for the classroom - I completely sympathise with you on the school front.  Our son has have a few school suspensions for his bad impulse control behaviours (he gets into that "hypersilly" mode and doesn't when to stop, particurlary when rough play goes to far.  

We have also cut out flavours and preservatives in his diet.  I have taken him to a Naturpath also and he is on fish oil tablets (highly recommended for ADHD kids) and a supplement called "muscleease" to nourish his nervous system.  We are trying everything at the moment to help our boy.

I hope this has helped you.  Good Luck and know that you are not alone.

Post #69340
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 6:10pm

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.