Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

12»»

iPad and kids Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 29/06/2012 1:14:27 AM
Hello everyone

I just wanted to know your opinion on the following: do you use an iPad for your kids' education? I know there are plenty of apps for learning to read and count...

Thanx!
Post #67969
Posted 23/06/2012 1:29:10 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 16/07/2013 7:47:08 PM
hi eufloria,

nah.. I don't believe in them. I grant it that they look very promising and it seems a decent choice, but I considered it, and came to the conclusion that unstructured play, with lots of simple toys, without sounds, lights and music, is actually better.. as these toys encourage interaction, imagination and communication. I saw my girl talking to the doll, and the doll talking back, the room full of laughter and joy, and I also saw her on the sofa, the ipad in her hand, her eyes glued to the screen, oblivious to the world. She might learn to count to 100 from the ipad, but she will never gain any social skills from one..

plus they are sort of addictive - the more the child uses it, the more he/she wants it.

but that's only my opinion and who knows if I'm right - it's only that I don't have a good gut feeling about them..

cheers

Post #67978
Posted 26/06/2012 8:11:44 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 22/01/2014 10:00:58 PM
The Ipad is a fantastic tool, if used not as a baby sitter, but as an educational tool.
Many apps can be used with a toddler and a parent or a sibling and are a fantastic way to teach turn taking.
One example would be Toca Tea Party.
You can have 3 people playing at a time.
A parent needs to take the lead, and have children learn to ask things such as "what would you like?"
and it does become educational.
Another great game is My Play Home.
Its like a big interactive doll house.
Great for teaching things like brushing teeth, as they can brush teeth on all the characters.
My 2 girls both use an ipad, and it has been used as a therapy tool as both my girls have autism and I credit the things I can do with them on an ipad to helping them come so far in only the past 6 months.
But if you are considering an ipad as merely a baby sitter then forget it!
You need to remember you can choose the apps that are on an ipad, and you can take things such as the internet or you tube off the ipad.
I will be attending a 1 day conference next month on the Ipad being used as a therapy tool, so believe me, the ipad is a great educational tool, it just depends on the parent if it is used for education or just as a babysitter.
You can also hook it up to a TV and ask questions such as "point to the red star" or where is the Cat?
Many different uses, but if a parent is not educated on how best to incorporate an ipad in an educational way, then it is no better than a DS or a normal computer.
Post #68012
Posted 18/07/2012 3:56:28 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 20/07/2012 10:09:06 PM
Hi Eufloria

I am also using iPad with some learning and fun apps for my kids. iPad apps are really help as children can learn and play at the same time.
Post #68311
Posted 3/10/2012 1:32:37 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 16/10/2012 2:26:28 PM
Yes, I do agree with you! What iPad educational apps do your kids love to play with?
Post #69739
Posted 30/11/2012 9:03:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 30/11/2012 8:52:08 AM
Hi,
I thinkthat it's worth using ipad for educating kids. First of all you diversify your methods. When your child is going to be bored with simple task, you can use than your ipad and show some nice education app. On internet you have lot of them, like Letter Quiz Free. Remember that you have to be restricted about time that you spend on ipad.
Post #72095
Posted 28/12/2012 2:45:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 28/12/2012 3:35:21 AM
i noticed all the best with iPad and kids. my nephews just love it. Besides some games like AngryBirds, they especially like some drawings apps, and storybooks. Favourite site is istorytime, with Smurfs, Madagascar...as well favorites are interactive storybooks (example Slibby from istorytime)
Post #72258
Posted 10/01/2013 9:00:53 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 4/02/2013 11:29:34 PM
Hi Euflora,

I agree that ipad has a lot of educational apps. I do let my kids play with ipad but I set limits. They are only allowed to play 30 min on weekends. I still encourage active play with educational toys and books.

If your children look up to you, you’ve made a success of life’s biggest job. ~ Unknown
Post #72386
Posted 7/02/2013 6:56:30 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 14/02/2013 2:31:14 PM
They are an absolutely brilliant tool and I would highly recommend one. I am an ex teacher with over 15 years experience.
Like it or not we are a technological age and if you do not expose your kids and get your kids to learn on things like ipads and computers etc they are going to be left behind when they go to school.
My 4 year old has his own oipad and it's the best thing we have ever bought him.
It's one thing to sit with mummy and sing the alphabet song or play with magentic numbers, it's another to see elmo talk him through the alphabet and sing with all his favourite characters etc.
You are really doing yourself and your child a diservice by not using such a wonderful tool for learning
Post #72607
Posted 5/03/2013 3:08:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 5/03/2013 3:48:07 AM
We actually got my 4 yr old an iPhone. I had originally started at age 1 by letting her use educational apps on my blackberry, then later, my droid. She went to preschool this year and had a huge head start. There are apps for tracing letters, learning the alphabet, colors, numbers, shapes, animals, etc. And I let her download a few just for fun games too. My best recommendation is not to just give your child an electronic device and send them off unsupervised. The more you get involved in their electronic play, the more they will learn. My little girl is an exceptionally well adjusted and emotionally secure tiny person.

Why validate your childs feelings?
Post #72788
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 2:11am

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.