Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

9 year old son hiding food Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/06/2012 2:40:03 PM
Help Please!

Am I being an over anxious parent?

My 9 year old son has been eating very little food at school and then he will hide it in various places in his room until we do a huge clean out and it's discovered all rotten.  It's mainly fruit, I've tried talking to him.  We've explained if he doesn't like something to just let us know because we don't like the food wastage or the possibility that he's encouraging vermin in the house with this habit.  Is this normal or should we be worried.  I thought he'd stopped but I just found a stash of a weeks worth of fruit!! This has been going on and off for a year.  His teacher has even found rotten fruit in his desk at school.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post #67816
Posted 12/06/2012 9:21:19 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 18/10/2013 2:41:46 PM
Have you tried getting him to make his own lunch in the mornings?  Maybe have a range of things you approve of available and get him to choose what he wants to take? It  might end up being nothing at all - but he isn't going to starve himself, eventually he will eat! I know my boys go through stages of eating like they are starving to eating nothing at all until dinner time for weeks at a time - I'm sure it has something to do with growth spurts!  And my kids will leave uneaten food in their school bags until I discover them (rotten squished banana is the worst!!)

My kids leave their school bags in the lounge room and don't eat in their rooms - so the food never makes it in there - maybe that would help?

Finally, perhaps he is doing it for the reaction?  Does he clean up the rotten food or you?  Maybe if you either get him to clean it up, or clean it up without comment he will stop doing it?

Hope this helps!

Post #67861
Posted 1/07/2012 7:57:23 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 5/04/2013 3:05:33 AM

Hi Teach, is the food hiding still a problem? If so I might be able to shed some light on it.
Both my kids (11 and 14) have been through such stages.

1. I have to ask, is your son very active? If so, he may be like mine - far too impatient to get out on the playground to waste time eating.

2. If it's always fruit going to waste. Stop sending it to school. You can sneak in fruit at the dinner table or just load up on extra veggies at dinner to make sure he is getting everything he needs. This will also stop you stressing about the waste.

3. Maybe he's been eating other kids food and doesn't want to 'get into trouble' with you...?

4. Is he being teased about bringing fruit to school? Crazy I know, but my kids have at times been teased for having healthy lunches !! Apparently you had to have everything in a packet otherwise you were uncool .... (sigh). Glad that one's over.

If your son is not rapidly losing weight or anxious about something happening at school, I'm sure he's OK. But having said that, I'm sure you as the parent will be the best judge this ! Ask him about lunchtime at school, where he sits, who he sits with, how long do they spend eating etc, and see if he divulges anything. Just make sure he knows he won't 'get into trouble' you just want to look out for him and make sure he's having a nice (if not healthy) lunch. Good luck !

Post #68076
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 5:47am

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.