Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

How do I break a bad sleeping habit? Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/05/2012 8:39:00 PM
Hi everyone,

We've been having unsettleness in our family for the past four months where we have been moving down from Brisbane to Melbourne and staying in different appartments until we've been able to move into our house in April.

The boys (2 and 5) have been coping emotionally amazingly well

My big problem at the moment is that they have slipped into a really bad 'going to bed' habit where my husband or I lay with each of them in their individual beds until they fall asleep.

I now this must sound crazy to some, but because we've been moving around in different places, I guess I started the habit by thinking they must be feeling unsecure during this time and just let it be.

Now that we've establised and settled into our home again, how do I break it? Do I just leave them in bed, walk off, close the door - this will surely make them break down in tears. Thought huge tantrum and start screaming. Maybe I'm just soft and need to just do it, but somehow, I just don't have the heart to let them screaming for hours on end.

How do you put your children to bed? What is your routine? What advice can you give me or should I just toughen up???

I must add that both boys are very good sleepers and once asleep they are fine, I can leave and they will stay there for the entire night.

I could just leave it as it is and hope that it will change with time but my husband travels alot interstate so on those nights it takes me up to 3hrs to first lay with the one until he's asleep and then lay with the other. Please help, any advice welcome!!!!

mum2ar, DS 5 PDDNOS, DS 2 NT

Post #67558
Posted 11/06/2012 11:35:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 14/04/2013 11:26:59 AM
I've just read your post and I'm hoping you've already sorted this out. How has it gone?

If things havent changed yet I would recommend sitting down with the kids during the day & talking with them about it. It's amazing what kids understand. If the problem persists you could try a reward system. Maybe a sticker each day for the first few nights, or a new pillow case after a week.

It must have been a stressful time for you all moving that often. I hope things settle quickly for you.
Post #67849
Posted 12/07/2012 3:52:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 12/07/2012 3:46:43 PM
Hi.

I understand your frustration. Our night time routine is fairly simple, but it seems to work. Dinner, then bath or shower, into pjs then story time. I have 2 kids and they each choose a book. After that it is lights out. My younger one sometimes ends up in our bed, and I tell him he can snuggle for a couple of minutes then it is back to his bed. We then walk back to his bed, tuck him in and leave him.

I know it is tough, but you have to be strong. I use to lay with my kids and it is a tough habit to break. I say I will lay there for a few minutes, then I am going to back to my bed, or I have jobs to do, etc. If they keep getting up and out of their beds; keep taking them back. Expect a few tears or even a tantrum, and/or all sorts of excuses, but you are the boss and within a few days they will be in their beds by themselves.

Good luck and all the best x
Post #68192
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 5:55am

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.