Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

Breastfeeding a one week old baby Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/05/2012 4:44:02 PM
Hi there,
My baby is a week old today, we're back at home after a short stay at the hospital.
I'm breastfeeding her at the moment and it works but not until the end of the feed.
After a feed of about 15 to 20 minutes (sometimes 2 of them), I can see that my baby girl is still unsettled, she's hungry but doesn't want my breast anymore. There's still milk in my breast but she's not taking it.
I express it and then put it in a bottle, and sometime she will drink it, sometime she won't.
Has any of you experienced this? I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing for her!
Thank you for your advice.
Nathalie
Post #67505
Posted 7/05/2012 5:23:24 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 12/12/2012 9:43:24 PM
You're probably already doing it, but have you been burping her in between each breast? The gas in little bub's tummy can make her think she's hungry or causing her some discomfort. It might take 10 minutes or more for the air to come out, but it should settle her a bit more and she won't fuss too much at the breast.

It could also be that bubs is full but is just wanting a comfort suck.

But if you are still not sure, give the Australian Breastfeeding Association a call (1800 686 2 686) while you're feeding her so you can explain to them exactly what is happening and they can give you some techniques to try or put you on to a lactation consultant who can come and visit you.

Post #67528
Posted 18/05/2012 9:43:36 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 22/05/2012 10:11:01 PM
With my baby I had a problem that the milk was squirting out too quickly and it wasn't pleasant on her palate, so she was unsettled during the feeds and released before she was done.

Another option is discussing this with your MCHN on your next visit and maybe feeding the baby while your with her so she can see and give you advice.

Check out my blog

www.cagedbutterflies.blogspot.com

Post #67640
Posted 12/07/2012 9:04:28 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 19/10/2012 1:20:17 PM
You are doing really well. Remember that it can take up to 6-8 weeks for you and bub to establish a good breastfeeding establishment takes place. This will take place for each child. Doesn't matter if this is your 1st or 5th it can take 6-8 weeks, so keep up the good work

With my little one I had to feed every 10-15 minutes at first, then it stretched out to every 30 mins then every 2 hours but my first 8 weeks was hard. During the night was the worst for me. I had my little one screaming, during the night is hard because I was tired and she wasn't latching on and drinking and I knew she was hungry. I found settling her first such as rocking in arms and saying 'shhh, shhh, shhh' over and over helped then once she settled I placed her back on the breast. It took me and my little one 10 weeks. A little longer than the average but I persisted and now she is all good. so keep going you are doing great and Im sure you are a great mum too
Post #68204
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 7:53pm

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.