Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

How to stop bad behaviour? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 22/10/2012 2:19:05 PM
At home, my 4.5 year old son is your typical boy at this age, some good behaviour, some bad, but mostly good, and we work on the bad, that is until...the neighbour kids come over (which is almost everyday), then it's like he loses his mind and all this bad behaviour comes pouring out at once. Spitting, hitting, telling blatant lies, name calling are just some of the things he does. I'd like to blame the other kids, an 8 year old girl and her 6 year old brother, but that's not the case. They're typically good kids and usually bear the brunt of my boy's bad behaviour (which I can't understand why they keep coming back). Chaperoning them, I spend most of my time trying to deal with my son to the point where I dread the sound of a knock at the door and the neighbours' voices. I can deal with one bad trait at a time and work with him on doing the right thing, but when he loses all control when the others come round, I start to lose it.

Outside banning the neighbour kids, anyone have any ideas on how to handle the situation?
Post #67431
Posted 27/04/2012 9:53:00 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 27/04/2012 9:43:54 PM
Perhaps rather than banning the neighbours kids you should talk to Jack and tell him what you wont allow when the neighbours kids are around. If he choses to do the behaviours you decide are definately not  on then he is choosing not to play with the kids.

Then if the kids visit remind Jack of the behaviour required and if he isnt able to keep himself together enough, end the play session and appologise to the kids and tell them Thanks for coming to play, but you are sorry, Jack isnt up to a longer play today.  

Post #67453
Posted 28/04/2012 1:18:30 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 18/10/2012 12:23:37 PM
I agree with the above poster.

Discuss with him how he should behave with friends around.  He has two choices, behave well and the friends can stay or if he doesn't behave, well the friends go home.

Post #67460
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 6:48pm

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.