Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

Special schools for 6yo autistic son in... Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/04/2012 5:41:49 AM

A hello from Kiwis living in the UK. (please don't let that put you off, as we really need your advice!)

We are relocating to Brisbane in the next 6 months and wanted to ask the forum's views on education for our Autistic son. He will be 6 next June.

He has a UK statement, which describes him as autistic. We believe he is middle to severe on the spectrum. He communicates basic wants verbally "I want" and uses basic PECS.
He is not advanced enough to be potty trained (wears a nappy) and for UK "Autistic" schools he is deemed too autistic. He has been attending a local severe learning difficulties school (I think the equivalent in Aus is an Intellectual Disability school).

We would love to hear of any private or public schools you would recommend. My job will be flexible on location but I would have to travel to the CBD three days a week. So maybe with an hour's drive of the CBD?

Any details you could give us of after school clubs for children with disabilities / holiday / mid term clubs would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks,

Nick
Post #67220
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 5:14pm

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.