Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

Social Thinking and Fahcsia Resources Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 27/02/2012 9:04:31 AM
I can't find any other posts on this - I hope I'm not repeating what others have asked before....

I am in the very fortunate position of having a little fahscia money left to spend before DS turns 7 in May.

Our OT has suggested some CD's for DS but I was wondering if anyone here has spent some money on resources and what you purchased.

Our psycologist has recommended the Social Thinking website and a lot of the stuff looks good - but I'm not sure which to consider - there's so much.

I'm thinking of things such as games and stories to help with social interactions. Maybe computer programs that would help with emotion intelligence. DS does quite well in lots of social situations so I'm not exactly sure what our needs will be in the future (which is what is making this more difficult). DS struggles with sensory processing disorder which affects lots of things. As he gets help with this (OT) things have been getting easier all round. Any resource recommendations for SPD? I've bought hammocks, whistles, etc - lots of smaller stuff, over time as I've thought it would be helpful.

Our OT is happy to organise it for us (for a fee) but I don't think she's done it often before. All I can think of considering is books, computer programs, weighted vest, board games, etc.

Can anyone suggest any specific "titles" or products? I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks

Lily
DS 6 yrs
Post #66474
Posted 20/02/2012 8:54:11 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 6/06/2014 8:33:14 AM
Our ot sent us a list of book titles including
you are a social detective, What did you say, what do you mean
And dvds including
My school day, time for a playdate etc.
We are trialling them - part of our issue is he intellectually knows what to say or do so the pc programs dont really help, he gets it all right. We are looking at books as he loves to read and dvd movies as he often incorporates movie scenes in his play. I have a reasonable list in an email that I can forward you if that is any help.
Post #66477
Posted 24/02/2012 12:06:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thanks! When you posted that your son understands what he should do (intellectually) do you mean you are hoping the programs will help him to understand why he should do it?

I would really like a copy of the book list. Many thanks
Post #66540
Posted 24/02/2012 7:24:20 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

If he does a quiz like in conversation builder or has to pick the appropriate response on a pc program he will generally select the correct response quite easily. In real life he doesnt find it easy. With a book I am hoping we can read it and then we can talk about it or apply it to our own life. We are also looking at getting a social story creator as he seems to like to read the ones they have been doing at his social group.
I will send you a pm/mail with our lists hope something might be useful for your little man
Post #66541
Posted 25/02/2012 7:28:16 PM
Supreme Being

Last Login: 16/03/2013 6:22:18 PM
Hi as part of my boys ABA programs we use the ModelMe kids DVDs, they are a good way to teach a range of social skills and understandings. There are a series, one is school related skills eg. Listening to my teacher. One is play dates, covers things like how to play well when your friend comes over, how to act at a birthday party etc. another one is hygiene - teaches about importance of being clean, checking how you look in the mirror before you go out, how to have a shower, choosing a clean shirt etc. They are simple, clear, well structured, using just the right amount of information and visually very clear. My boys love watching them and they do learn from them, we usually watch one with them and then talk about how to do that at school or at home, and we role play/ practice in real life.
They are American, check them out here: http://www.modelmekids.com/

DS 1 - 7yo ASD

DS 2- 5yo PDD-NOS
Post #66568
Posted 26/02/2012 7:29:26 AM
Supreme Being

Last Login: 5/03/2013 11:44:39 AM
Hi,

We have the model me Dvds too and they are good but my DS is reluctant to watch them as he finds them childish, its a hard one. Another thing that was good was the Socially Speaking board game by Alison Shroeder. She also has a book by the same name. Hope you find these useful.

mum to DS 9 Aspergers, DD 4 NT

Post #66574
Posted 27/02/2012 9:09:16 AM
Forum Newbie

Thanks so much everyone! It's great to have some more things to discuss with our OT. I think she's good but doesn't seem to have much experience in claiming funding for resources.
Post #66589
Posted 27/02/2012 3:23:48 PM
Supreme Being

Its a shame there arent more australian resources. My son will pick up the accent of any new words he learns - he has many american sounding words from watching sesame st as a babe! Kinda worried with some of the modelme ones he will learn social scripts with an american accent to boot
Post #66600
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 7:50am

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.