Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

Welcome to High School - no more After School... Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/01/2012 1:21:11 PM
Hi

I am a sole parent with no relatives nearby and a high pressure full time role. I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with the lack of out of school hours care for young high school students. My daughter is 12 and I'm not comfortable with her being home alone every afternoon or for whole days in holidays. How have others handled this?

Thank you!
Post #65562
Posted 29/01/2012 10:16:03 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 3/06/2013 3:27:17 PM
Hi there, in terms of after school, do you know another parent who is at home who could have your daughter? Obviously she would prefer a friend's parent. After school activities that are either at the school or near to the school that she can walk to can also fill a few afternoons. Also, schools often keep their library open for kids to do homework in, and they sometimes offer extra help in subjects after school. If a public library was in walking distance that could be another option.

As for school holidays, we've always taken the opportunity to send our daughter to one of her grandparents' or aunt's places for a holiday. Luckily our girl loves her relatives and hanging out with them. There are holiday camps and courses/workshops as well, but in my experience your child will want to do it with a friend, and then you can also share transport etc. Depending on the workplace (it might only work with a small business) your daughter might be able to come in and help.

They grow up so much in that first year of high school, by half way through the year or by the end of the year you might be feeling more comfortable about them being at home. I understand that this of course depends on the child, where you live, security issues etc.

Hope this helps a bit.
Post #66073
Posted 6/02/2012 8:48:26 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 6/02/2012 9:05:03 AM
I'm now an expat living in Berlin and though i travelled across asia for 8 months with my 12 year old...I am not too keen to let her catch the train to and frmo school by herself though she claims she is fine.

I need to work and i'm sure she'd be fine.....

She has a mobile phone which she can send me gps location from so i can know where she is pretty much whenever i need to.

hmmn

Post #66252
Posted 27/03/2013 8:22:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 27/03/2013 8:20:49 PM
It can be really tough to get by without family or friend networks near by.

Best bet would be to speak to teachers at her school. Perhaps they have some after hour programs or some trusted parents willing to lend a hand.

Good luck and god bless with your job!
Post #72936
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 5:07pm

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.