Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

How should I be putting 4 month old to sleep?... Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 17/12/2011 7:25:50 AM
I currently get my 17 week old DD off to sleep by breastfeeding her - every time. It works very well and quickly.

Should I be putting her to sleep differently? Ie. putting her to down when dowsy and dealing with the crying? I did try this morning to NOT feed her to sleep but she just cried and cried and I was holding her! I didn't even get to put her in the bassinet. So after 30 mins i feed her and she was off to sleep in 5 mins.

She will not accept a dummy either. Never has - just will not.

Also, she suddenly only sleeps for 45 min during the day, every time. Like clockwork. Thought it may have something to do with the feeding to sleep, but she sleeps well at night 5-8 hours.

She is still wrapped and I'm pretty sure that she still requires this. At what age do we start to go unwrapped.

So many questions... any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Post #65230
Posted 18/01/2012 2:21:12 PM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 23/04/2013 7:04:41 PM
I'm a big beliver in doing whatever works at the time...but...if she needs to be breast fed befor every sleep it depends on whether your willing to do that every time?

Trying to teach her to self settle with out cc might be worth a shot...put her down & let her protest cry for as long as it takes but if the cry turns into an emotional cry(wet cry) then go back in and pat / sooth her untill she falls asleep....Tizzy Hall's book 'Save our Sleep' is amazing. You could also go to a day stay program in your local area, your maternal & child health nurse should be able to give you the info.

We stopped wrapping harrison when he started rolling in his cot (5 monthish) I was paranoid he might roll in the night & sufocate, but he would never go down with out being wrapped.....so after a while I brough a Peke Moe (large pillow case like sleeping bag) and we havent looked back, he looks so much more comfy rather than like a sausage in his tight wrap.

Hope some of that might be helpful!

Post #65821
Posted 25/01/2012 8:50:49 PM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 8/11/2014 7:21:52 PM
I was told to stop wrapping as soon as your baby can roll over (this is when I switched to sleeping bags, which are great!).

As for the feeding to sleep, I was told that this was a big no no and you should try putting them to sleep when drowsy (easier said than done!) I went to a sleep settling forum called Safe Sleep Space which was fantastic. I read their book which had a lot of good advice.

www.safesleepspace.com.au
Post #65994
Posted 29/02/2012 8:41:07 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 29/02/2012 8:46:17 PM
Hi, I agree with Emma & Harrison, it is only a problem if you think it is... having said that, this website has some great strategies for a some positive sleep routines which I think are really helpful. I follow some Tresilian advice, put my son down awake, he has a cry for five minutes (or whatever you can stand), go in and comfort him with a brief stroke of the cheek or head and some comforting words like "... its ok, time to go to sleep", then leave immediately, and wait another five minutes before you go back in. I have rarely had to go through two cycles of that before he goes to sleep. I am not having as much luck with this strategy when he wakes during the night, but it has taken a lot of the stress out of putting him to bed at night. I promise, it is only horrible for the first couple of times you do it. Try and go somewhere where you can't hear them for whatever time (one minute, two minutes or five minutes).

Good luck, you sound like you are doing a fab job anyway!

Pip

Post #66640
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 8:26am

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.