Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

THE DESPERATE PLIGHT OF TEENAGE FASTER KIDS Expand / Collapse
Author
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 26/04/2014 6:52:04 AM

I was talking with a group of foster carers earlier this week and am deeply frustrated by the distinct number of people who  always say it must be great to take in a displaced child and make something of their lives but are unwilling to make the effort to do something about it themselves

With the radical changes in the fostering setup that are scheduled to take place this coming January in NSW I wonder what will happen to all the 8-18 yr olds that nobody is interested in taking under their wing. Yes these kids are damaged goods in most cases and need particular and extreme care and attention  but the rewards that can be gained are also extreme

If there are any of you out there that feel you may be able to help even one of these kids PLEASE contact your local NGO. singles, same sex couples and working couples are not excluded but complete dedication and commitment are essential as the worst thing that can happen to these kids is a placement breakdown at this critical stage of their lives

I write ,not as paid member of one of these organisations but purely as a dedicated foster DAD who is seeing such a lot of tragedy taking place in our local area because these kids are not loved and need suitable “parenting”

I would love to talk to any of you about my experience if you send me a PM

Post #64065
Posted 29/10/2011 9:52:27 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 7/08/2014 11:36:38 AM
Frank,
I agree with you 100%.
What are the upcoming changes to the NSW legislation?
Post #64070
Posted 2/11/2011 10:13:02 AM

Supreme Being

Last Login: 14/04/2014 10:25:47 AM
Hi Frank, I also would like to know about the changes.  The only thing I have heard is about the adoption payment....

regards

Zeeta 27 NSW

Post #64151
Posted 2/11/2011 10:27:26 PM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 10/12/2012 9:48:54 PM
I'm not exactly sure what Frank is referring to but I have heard that along with cancelling the payments for foster carers who adopt their kids, there will be a push for children to be adopted rather than stay in long-term care. I'm not sure if that means there will be no long-term care or just less of it. They want to get kids out of the system and cut costs.

So, I guess one of the implications is that it may be VERY hard to get people to agree to adopt older kids particularly if there is no financial assistance, or case-work for these kids.

If you look at the latest issue of the fostering newsletter it our illustrious leader Pru's message says:

"This Government has a clear focus on reducing the number of children in
out-of-home care, by keeping children safe at home where possible,
but also by working to clear obstacles to adoption, which I know will
please those carers who might wish to adopt their foster, relative or
kinship children.

We are also putting in place a system to better match children to carers.
This is an important initiative that will bring significant benefits to the sector
and help ensure better outcomes for children and young people in care"

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/docswr/_assets/main/documents/fostercare_newsletter25.pdf
Post #64184
Posted 29/12/2011 11:07:54 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 21/02/2014 12:16:22 AM
I guess carers are aware that if they are fostering a young person aged 16 or 17 the NSW govt is now going to deduct the youth allowance amount that the young person is eligible to receive from the fostering allowance?

I think this will also apply to carers of young people who are eligible for disability support pensions but I'm not certain. If anyone has more information about that it would be great to hear.

It's already so hard to place (and to care for) the older kids...

Post #65411
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 4:16pm

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.