Print Email

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )
Forums Guide Disclaimer

Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by respecting the Terms of Use and by reporting any misuse to the moderator.

Regressers Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/07/2008 10:05:11 AM
Hi All,

I have a delightful nearly 7yr daughter who is  a high functioning autistic and also has globle delay and ADHD.My question is , she loves school and has a aid some of the time to help her but we have found that she seems to forget the most basic things like her site words and counting to 30. The good thing is that she is very social  which is great but you cant get through live without knowing your basic abc`s and 123's . The beginning of term she was good but has seemed to regress. It looks at this stage that she will have to repeat yr 2.The school dosnt seem to know what to do.Any help would be a big help.

Post #10476
Posted 18/06/2008 9:34:24 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:32:34 PM
Hi luckyduck,

I thought you may be interested in the following information page on RCN.

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/disabilities_working_with_professionals.html/context/792

I'm sure other users will also be able to give you some great suggestions.
Good luck.

Raising Children Network
Forum Moderator
Post #10541
Posted 6/03/2009 5:34:39 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 2/04/2009 3:27:10 PM
hi there, it seems like a scary road hey, my son is 9 and still cannot write his name but he is achieving every single day, he goes to a wonderful school who help him so much, but the thing about asd is it constantly changes, last year my son would not even try to count, this year he is recieting the 7 x tables , he could not read until year 2 and that was a preschool level, last year at a year 2 level, this year he can read year 4 and he can sit and do those site words in fact he does not even learn them he just knows them he says, but this is what happens, they change and you get a suprise but then he also goes backward, socially he is like a 5 year old - its hard he struggles, but he gives it a go, I know he will never attain the level his classmates do but he has alot to offer, I just bet your daughter does too.  Some days he just isn't there, but there are those days where everything just clicks - kinda confusing huh!.  I think we are not really ever going to truely get these children and I belive the only expectation that I have is for their happiness, to be able to just get through a day and still smile and not have a melt down .  Yes I wonder what will happen in the future, but I just know that these children are special and they are here for a purpose and when my son says to me mum I am so dumb, so stupid, I say no darling you are extra special, and you will find out one day what that purpose is but until then all I expect from you is to try your hardest, be brave, be strong and most of all be happy. Don't worry she will feel it, support her and congradulate her even if its to remember one word or the days of the week - we are still working on that one, you have been given her for a reason-treasure her she is special!
Post #13248
Posted 4/05/2012 9:53:47 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 4/05/2012 10:19:11 PM
HI I am new to this I have 2 sons with GDD and it is hard work. Do you know of anyone or anything the could help . Does anybody have children that are in there teens with this? If I keep working with them does that make a difference ? will thay finnaly grow out of this ????
Post #67509
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT +10:00, Time now is 11:23am

Important! The content of these forums is not quality-assured by the Raising Children Network. Please help us maintain the quality of these forums by reporting any misuse to the administrator.