spacer spacer PInterest spacer
spacer Print spacer Email
Western Australia
This page has information about a range of child, family and parent services and support organisations in Western Australia.

Have you just had a new baby?

Child Health Centres
Maternal and child health nurses can check your child’s health and development and give you information about caring for babies and young children and looking after yourself. The Western Australian Department of Health has a list of Child Health Centres, or you can call Healthdirect Australia on 1800 022 222 to make an appointment.

Healthdirect Australia
This is a free telephone health information and advice service for residents of the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia.

  • Phone: 1800 022 222
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

Are you finding parenting harder than you thought?

Parenting WA Line
This is an information, support and referral service for parents and carers of children aged 0-18 years. Qualified staff can help you understand the different stages of child development. You can also get advice about anything to do with raising children, such as toddler tantrums, teething, toilet training, sleep patterns, sibling rivalry or bullying. The Parenting WA Line can also provide information and links to local community support services, courses and workshops.

  • Phone: (08) 6279 1200 or 1800 654 432 (free call from regional areas)
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days

This organisation helps parents and carers develop skills and cope with the challenges of early parenting. Services include a helpline, parent groups, day stay and overnight stay programs.

  • Phone: (08) 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 (free call from regional areas)
  • Hours: 8 am-8 pm, 7 days

Do you need to find care for your child?

There are four options for child care in Australia:

  • home-based care, which is having your child cared for by a friend, relative or nanny in your home
  • family day care with a small group of children in an approved carer’s home
  • centre-based care, in a child care centre with trained staff and a structured program
  • occasional care, which is short-term, centre-based care.

Child care is mainly designed for children aged up to five years, but can also include before-school, after-school and holiday care for primary school-age children.

This Australian Government website has information about the different types of child care and about government assistance to help with fees. You can search for a child care service near you.

You can also get information from the Child Care Access Hotline:

  • Phone: 1800 670 305 (free call)
  • TTY service: 1800 639 327 (for hearing-impaired or speech-impaired callers)
  • Hours: 9 am-8 pm, Monday-Friday

Do you want help finding playgroups?

Playgroups are a great way for small children to practise the fine art of getting along with others and to try new ways to play. They’re good for parents too, with lots of support and social contact in a relaxed, welcoming environment. For more information contact Playgroup WA.

  • Phone: 1800 171 882 (free call)
  • Hours: 9 am-3 pm, Monday-Friday

Is your child ready for kindergarten?

Children who turn four by 30 June can go to kindergarten for four half days a week. Then the next year when they turn five, they go to pre-primary, which is five full days.

Kindergarten and pre-primary programs focus on learning and socialising skills to help get your child ready for school. The Department of Education website has more information about kindergarten and pre-primary. Use the Schools Online directory to find schools offering kindergarten in your area.

Are things worrying you at home and you want someone to talk to?

Relationships Australia – Western Australia
Relationships Australia provides a range of support services to couples, individuals and families including relationship counselling, mediation, family violence intervention and support for problem gambling.

  • Phone: 1300 364 277 (cost of a local call)

Women’s Information Service
This is a free and confidential information and referral service for women. Call to speak to a trained volunteer about health issues, finances, legal matters, counselling, domestic violence or anything else that is worrying you. 

  • Phone: 1800 199 174 (free call)
  • Interpreting service: 131 450
  • Hours: 9 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday

Does someone in your family have special needs?

WA Disability Services Commission
This government agency is responsible for disability services in Western Australia. Visit the website to find out about the types of services available and how to get them. You can also call to get help finding services near you.   

  • Phone: (08) 9426 9200 or 1800 998 214 (free call from regional areas)
  • TTY: (08) 9426 9315 (for hearing-impaired or speech-impaired callers)
  • Hours: 8 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Find more links to child and parent disability services.

Are you looking for a directory of parenting services in your state?

Infoxchange Service Seeker
This is a directory of community services in Australia. Search for ‘parenting’ to find parenting support and other services in your area.

Find more links to parent and family services.
  • Last updated or reviewed 14-12-2015