spacer spacer PInterest spacer
spacer Print spacer Email
This page has information about a range of child, family and parent services and support organisations in Queensland.

Have you just had a new baby?

Child and baby health clinics
The Queensland Government provides free health services, parenting information and support for families of children aged 0-12. This webpage tells you how to find your nearest drop-in service or clinic. There is also a Child Health Line staffed by maternal and child health nurses:

  • Phone: 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84)
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

This is a confidential telephone counselling service offering free professional counselling and support for parents and carers.

  • Phone: 1300 301 300 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 8 am-10 pm, 7 days a week

Are you finding parenting harder than you thought?

Triple P – Positive Parenting Program
This a parenting support program. It aims to prevent severe behavioural, emotional and developmental problems in children by enhancing the knowledge, skills and confidence of parents.

Ellen Barron Family Centre 
This is a residential centre that helps parents build practical skills and confidence in parenting. Families of children aged 0-3 can be referred to the Centre, which is at the Prince Charles Hospital in Chermside, Brisbane.

  • Phone: (07) 3139 6500

Do you need to find care for your child?

There are four options for child care in Australia:

  • home-based care, which is having your child cared for by a friend, relative or nanny in your home
  • family day care with a small group of children in an approved carer’s home
  • centre-based care, in a child care centre with trained staff and a structured program
  • occasional care, which is short-term, centre-based care.

Child care is mainly designed for children aged up to five years, but can also include before-school, after-school and holiday care for primary school-age children.

This Australian Government website has information about the different types of child care and about government assistance to help with fees. You can search for a child care service near you.

You can also get information from the Child Care Access Hotline:

  • Phone: 1800 670 305 (free call) or
  • TTY service: 1800 639 327 (for hearing-impaired or speech-impaired callers)
  • Hours: 9 am-8 pm, Monday-Friday

Do you want help finding playgroups?

Playgroups are a great way for small children to practise the fine art of getting along with others and to try new ways to play. They’re good for parents too, with lots of support and social contact in a relaxed, welcoming environment. For more information contact the Playgroup Association of Queensland.

  • Phone: 1800 171 882 (free call)

Is your child ready for prep?

In 2007, Preparatory Year (prep) replaced preschool in Queensland. Prep is part of primary schooling and is provided through state schools and accredited non-state schools.

The Queensland Government website has more information about prep, or you can contact your local primary school.

Are things worrying you at home and you want someone to talk to?

Relationships Australia – Queensland
Relationships Australia offers counselling, education programs, mediation services and other help for families and couples.

  • Phone: 1300 364 277 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Women’s Infolink
This is a free and confidential information and referral service provided by the Queensland Government. It has information about community services and government agencies supporting women throughout Queensland, and can put you in touch with services in your area.

  • Phone: 1800 177 577 (free call)
  • Hours: 8 am-6 pm, Monday-Friday

Does someone in your family have special needs?

Queensland Government Disability Services 
This government agency provides various services for people with disability, their families, carers and service providers.

  • Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
  • TTY service: 133 677 (for hearing-impaired and speech-impaired callers)

Find more links to child and parent disability services.

Are you looking for a directory of parenting services in your state?

Infoxchange Service Seeker
This is a directory of community services in Australia. Search for ‘parenting’ to find parenting support and other services in your area.

Find more links to parent and family services.
  • Last updated or reviewed 01-05-2012