By Raising Children Network
spacer spacer PInterest spacer
spacer Print spacer Email
 
Man checking medicines stored in bathroom cabinet credit iStockphoto.com/OJO_Images

Did you knowQuestion mark symbol

  • Most calls to the Poisons Information Centre are about children swallowing something harmful or spraying something into their eyes at home.
  • Around 40 children are admitted to hospital in Australia every week because of accidental poisoning.
 
Poisoning is one of the leading causes of injury to children under five years, and children are often poisoned by common household chemicals, cleaners and medicines. You can make your child’s environment safer by locking away or removing potential poisons.

Accidental poisoning: what you need to know

Accidents with poisons usually happen at home, and they’re generally unexpected. Suddenly your child can open a bottle or reach a cupboard you thought was safe.

This means you need to be on the look-out and plan ahead as your child develops new skills.

Many substances around the home are actually household poisons. Also, a lot of things become poisonous when they’re not used in the way they’re intended. Once you’re aware of substances that are – or that might be – dangerous, it’s easier to protect your child.

Medicines can poison too. In fact, they’re the most common cause of poisoning in young children, accounting for 70% of all cases of child poisoning. Just about all medicines are poisonous if taken in large enough doses – this even includes vitamin pills and herbal remedies.

If you or a child in your care might have been poisoned, immediately take the container and the child to the phone and call the Poisons Information Centre on 131 126 for first aid advice – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Australia wide.

Preventing poisoning

The first step in preventing poisoning is storing medicines and chemicals up high in a locked cupboard, safely out of reach and out of sight of your child. The cupboard should be at least 1.5 m high.

Usage tips

  • When you’re using medicines, chemicals and cleaners, keep them out of reach of your child at all times. Put them somewhere you can see them.
  • Put medicines, chemicals and cleaners away in their storage place immediately after you’ve finished with them.
  • Avoid taking medicines when your children are around, because children copy grown-ups.
  • Refer to medicines by their proper names, rather than calling them ‘special lollies’.
  • If your child needs to take medicine, read the label, dosage and instructions carefully. Double-check everything before you give your child the medicine. If you’re not sure about how much to give or for how long, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
  • Set up a ‘checking system’ with your partner to avoid giving your child double doses of medicine.
  • Avoid distractions when administering medicines. If possible, establish a normal routine for giving or taking medicines. And always supervise your child while she’s taking medicine.

Storage tips

  • Before your child starts moving and climbing, make sure all dangerous items are out of reach.
  • Always store medicines, household cleaners, chemicals and poisons in child-resistant containers or locked cupboards that your child can’t open.
  • Ask your pharmacist to put child-resistant closures on your medicines if they’re not already on the bottle. Make sure you always put the caps back on the bottles correctly.
  • Never transfer poisons into food or drink containers. Don’t put chemicals such as detergents, paint thinners and weed killers into empty soft drink or juice bottles. Keep them in their original containers so your child won’t think he’s found something nice to drink.

Disposal tips

  • Clean out your medicine cupboard regularly. Get rid of unwanted and out-of-date medicines and other poisons promptly. You can return unwanted medicines to your local pharmacist for safe disposal.
  • Rinse empty medicine and chemical containers with water before you throw them out.

Other tips

  • Take extra care if your family has recently moved, is on holiday or is visiting friends. The chances of childhood poisoning increase when usual household routines are disrupted.
  • When friends come to visit, make sure their bags are out of your child’s reach, because the bags might contain medicines.

There are different poisoning risks at each new stage of your child’s development, as she reaches and moves more. These developmental changes can happen quickly, so planning ahead helps avoid risks.

Everyday items such as oven cleaners, drain cleaners and dishwashing powders can poison your child. Make sure all medicines and household chemicals are kept in a child-resistant cupboard. You can put child-resistant locks on most cupboards.

Poisoning facts

The eight most common calls to the Victorian Poisons Information Centre are about:

  • paracetamol
  • cough and cold preparations
  • rat and mouse baits
  • all-purpose/hard-surface cleaners
  • silica gel
  • oral contraceptives
  • ibuprofen
  • dishwashing detergents.
 
 
 
  • Last updated or reviewed 20-03-2015