spacer spacer PInterest spacer
spacer Print spacer Email
New South Wales
This page has information about a range of child, family and parent services and support organisations in New South Wales.

Have you just had a new baby?

Healthdirect Australia
This is a free 24-hour telephone health information and advice service for residents of the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia.

  • Phone: 1800 022 222

Early childhood health centres
These centres have maternal and child health nurses who can check your baby’s health. If you have any concerns about your baby, your small child, yourself or your family, these nurses can help. To find your nearest centre, contact Healthdirect Australia:

  •  Phone: 1800 022 222

Are you finding parenting harder than you thought?

Parentline is a confidential telephone advice and information service for parents and carers of children aged 0-18 years in New South Wales. Trained professional counsellors with experience in helping families will listen and give support and assistance, and provide information on relevant issues and services.

  • Phone: 1300 130 052
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

This organisation provides information and support to families, health professionals and the community. Karitane offers telephone support, a volunteer home visiting program, a residential facility and several education programs.

  • Phone: 1300 227 464 (1300 CARING)
  • Hours: 24 hours, Monday-Thursday; 10 am-4.30 pm, Friday-Sunday

Tresillian Family Care Centres
This organisation helps families with young children in New South Wales, offering day stay and residential programs as well as a Parent Help Line and online chat service. Tresillian also provides child and family health education for parents and other health professionals.

Do you need to find care for your child?

There are four options for child care in Australia:

  • home-based care, which is having your child cared for by a friend, relative or nanny in your home
  • family day care with a small group of children in an approved carer’s home
  • centre-based care, in a child care centre with trained staff and a structured program
  • occasional care, which is short-term, centre-based care.

Child care is mainly designed for children aged up to five years, but can also include before-school, after-school and holiday care for primary school-age children.

This Australian Government website has information about the different types of child care and about government assistance to help with fees. You can search for a child care service near you.

You can also get information from the Child Care Access Hotline:

  • Phone: 1800 670 305 (free call)
  • TTY service: 1800 639 327 (for hearing-impaired or speech-impaired callers)
  • Hours: 9 am-8 pm, Monday-Friday
You can read more in our articles on getting started with child care,  and child care costs and Australian Government assistance. You can also find out more about good-quality child care.

Do you want help finding playgroups?

Playgroups are a great way for small children to practise the fine art of getting along with others and to try new ways to play.  They’re good for parents too, with lots of support and social contact in a relaxed, welcoming environment. For more information contact Playgroup NSW:

  • Phone: (02) 9684 5273 or 1800 171 882 (free call)
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Is your child ready for preschool?

Children might be eligible for enrolment in preschool from the beginning of the school year if they turn four on or before 31 July that year. Preschool programs focus on learning and socialising skills to help prepare your child for school. The Department of Education has more information about preschools in New South Wales. You can also contact the Childcare and Family Infoline:

  • Phone: (02) 8571 9783 or 1800 803 820 (free call)
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Are things worrying you at home and you want someone to talk to?

Relationships Australia – New South Wales
Relationships Australia offers counselling, education programs, mediation services and other help for families and couples.

  • Phone: 1300 364 277 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Does someone in your family have special needs?

The Department of Ageing, Disability and Home Care (ADHC)
ADHC provides services in New South Wales for people with disability and their carers. These include early childhood intervention, carer respite and training programs for parents. Contact your local ADHC Information, Referral and Intake Service for more information.

Find more links to child and parent disability resources.

Are you looking for parenting services in your state?

Infoxchange Service Seeker
This is a directory of community services in Australia. Search for ‘parenting’ to find parenting support and other services in your area.

Resourcing Parents
This website is funded by Families NSW and has information about parenting education programs and events in New South Wales. It has an events calendar, notice board and resources for parents and for professionals working with parents and carers of children aged 0-18.

Find more links to parent and family services.
  • Last updated or reviewed 18-03-2015