spacer spacer PInterest spacer
spacer Print spacer Email
This page provides links to a range of resources and services related to law, money and employment for parents.


Australian Government Department of Employment
This website has detailed information about government employment services and training programs.

Australian JobSearch  
This Australian Government website lists jobs available in each Australian state and territory. It’s free and easy to use, and has no advertising.

This is a national careers information website, jointly managed by all the state and territory governments. It has extensive information about jobs, careers, education and training to help young people plan for their future. It includes a section for parents on helping your child choose a career.


Australian Government – Family law links
This Australian Government website has links to information about family law in Australia.

Family Court of Australia  
The Family Court deals with family matters such as divorce and deciding who should care for children after a separation. The website has a section called About going to court, which explains what’s involved.

Family Relationships Online
This Australian Government website has information and advice about family relationships. It has extensive information for both children and adults on topics such as family violence, separation and the law.

Law Council of Australia
The Law Council represents the legal profession in Australia. It advises governments and the courts on law and the justice system. The Family Law Section of the Council provides information on the law relating to children and parenting, marriage and separation, and property dispute. The website has a resource to help you find a family lawyer, arbitrator or mediator.

This website is run by the National Children’s and Youth Law Centre, an independent, non-profit organisation working for children. Lawstuff has comprehensive information about the rights and responsibilities of children and young people in every state and territory in Australia. It’s written for young people, but it’s a useful resource for parents as well.


Commonwealth Financial Counselling (CFC)  
Funded by the Australian Government, Commonwealth Financial Counselling (CFC) services help people in personal financial difficulty address their financial problems and make informed choices. This website has information about CFC and a directory of CFC providers. You can also call the national hotline to find out more. Phone 1800 007 007.

Australian Government Department of Human Services – Child Support basics 
The Department of Human Services administers the Child Support Scheme and helps separated parents manage the responsibility of financial support for their children. This webpage has an online estimator to help you work out how much child support you should pay or receive.  

Australian Government Department of Human Services – Medicare
Medicare is Australia’s universal health care system. It lets you get free or low-cost health care. This Department of Human Services webpage has information on what’s covered by Medicare, how to make claims, how to claim medical benefits and other services and assistance schemes.

Australian Government Department of Human Services – People with disability
This Department of Human Services webpage has information about disability and carer allowances.

Financial Information Service
The Financial Information Service (FIS) helps people understand their financial affairs and make informed decisions about investing money. FIS officers provide information to people over the phone, at personal interviews and through financial education seminars held in a range of locations across Australia. To speak to a FIS officer call 132 300.

Australian Government Department of Social Services – Carers information
In this section of the Department of Social Services website, you’ll find information about Carer Payment, Carer Allowance and respite services for carers of young people with a disability.

This is a website run by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) to help people manage their personal finances. It has information and advice on dealing with situations that cause financial strain. These situations include losing your job, having a baby, getting divorced or separated, buying a home or losing your partner.

  • Last updated or reviewed 28-02-2012