spacer spacer PInterest spacer
spacer Print spacer Email
Australian Capital Terriorty
This page has information about and links to a range of child, family and parent services and support organisations in the Australian Capital Territory.

Have you just had a new baby?

Child health checks
Child health checks are offered through child health clinics and home visits by maternal and child health nurses. For appointments and information, contact Community Health Intake:

  • Phone: (02) 6207 9977
  • Hours: 8 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday (except public holidays)

This is a free 24-hour telephone health triage, information and advice service for people in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia.

  • Phone: 1800 022 222

Are you finding parenting harder than you thought?

Parentline ACT
Parentline provides telephone counselling by trained volunteers for parents and carers in the Australian Capital Territory:

  • Phone: (02) 6287 3833
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday (except public holidays)

PANDSI supports mums, dads and families affected by perinatal depression and anxiety. They offer telephone support and face to face support groups in the Australian Capital Territory.

  • Phone: 02 6288 1936

This is an ACT Government program that promotes positive parenting through education and the provision of information. The website has a range of parenting guides as well as links to other resources and services:

  • Phone: 13 34 27
  • Hours: 8.30 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Queen Elizabeth II Family Centre
This facility offers residential treatment and support for families with children up to three years of age. The team of expert staff can help with issues including feeding, settling and child behaviour. To find out more contact Community Health Intake:

  • Phone: (02) 6207 9977
  • Hours: 8 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday (except public holidays)

Do you need to find care for your child?

There are four options for child care in Australia:

  • home-based care, which is having your child cared for by a friend, relative or nanny in your home
  • family day care with a small group of children in an approved carer’s home
  • centre-based care, in a child care centre with trained staff and a structured program
  • occasional care, which is short-term, centre-based care.

Child care is mainly designed for children aged up to five years, but can also include before-school, after-school and holiday care for primary school-age children.

This Australian Government website has information about the different types of child care and about government assistance to help with fees. You can search for a child care service near you.

You can also get information from the Child Care Access Hotline:

  • Phone: 1800 670 305 (freecall) or 1800 639 327 (TTY Service for hearing or speech impaired)
  • Hours: 9 am-8 pm, Monday-Friday

Do you want help finding playgroups?

Playgroups are a great way for small children to practise the fine art of getting along with others and to try new ways to play. They’re good for parents too, with lots of support and social contact in a relaxed, welcoming environment. For more information contact the ACT Playgroups Association:

  • Phone: 1800 171 882 (free call within the Australian Capital Territory) or (02) 6251 0261 (if calling from outside the Australian Capital Territory)
  • Hours: 9.30 am-2.30 pm, Monday-Friday (school terms only, closed on public holidays)

Is your child ready for preschool?

The ACT Government provides preschool education for children in the year before they attend school. Children who turn four on or before 30 April are eligible to attend 12 hours of preschool per week in that year. Children who turn four after 30 April will start preschool the following year. Preschool programs focus on learning and socialising skills to help prepare your child for school.

Visit the Department of Education’s directory of preschools to find a preschool near you.

Are things worrying you at home and you want someone to talk to?

Relationships Australia – Canberra and region
Relationships Australia offers counselling, education programs, mediation services and other help for families and couples.

  • Phone: 1300 364 277 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Does someone in your family have special needs?

Disability ACT
This is the government agency responsible for providing services in the Australian Capital Territory to people with disability and their families.  

  • Phone: (02) 6207 1086
  • TTY: (02) 6205 0888 (for hearing- and speech-impaired callers)

Northcott Disability Services
This is a not-for-profit organisation providing services and support to people with disability and their families in the Australian Capital Territory and New South Wales.

  • Phone: 1800 818 286 (free call)
  • Hours: 7 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Find more links to child and parent disability resources.

Are you looking for a directory of parenting services in your state?

Infoxchange Service Seeker
This is a directory of community services in Australia. Search for ‘parenting’ to find parenting support and other services in your area.

  • Last updated or reviewed 01-07-2016